From: David Tetzlaff (email suppressed)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2006 - 16:16:17 PDT

> What do Mitsu's common sense and Michael's productive
> mentality say is the commonly-used word referring
> exclusively to that medium which is always viewed by
> passing light through a strip of clear acetate (not
> celluloid)?

There are very few commonly used words in English that refer exclusively
to any one thing. That's not the way language works. Refering to certain
works created or viewed electronically as 'films' is a somewhat different
sense of the word than 'the medium of projected images on celluloid', just
as 'filmmaking' in that sense is a different usage of the word 'film' than
the celluloid stock that still photographers still buy, sometimes. BTW,
have the still image people gone through a similar linguistic crisis over
the owrd 'photography'?

If you want to refer to anything exclusively, you will generally need more
than one word. For example saying one has made a '16mm film' is pretty
specific and only requires typing four more characters on the keyboard.

For info on FrameWorks, contact Pip Chodorov at <email suppressed>.