Re: funding for experimental cinema UK

From: Rob Gawthrop (email suppressed)
Date: Thu Apr 09 2009 - 10:29:04 PDT

Use the Arts Council and refer to yourself as an artist working with film.
If its experimental, has integrity and is not seeing to reproduce dominant
values then "art" is wholly appropriate. There's some specific guidelines
on the ACE website.


On 9/4/09 17:30, "Veronica Ibarra" <email suppressed> wrote:

> Hi all
> Does anyone know any funding sources, grants, awards, etc in the UK for
> experimental film projects?
> I haven't been able to find any.
> The UK Film Council seems to only fund commercial cinema, and awards funded by
> the Arts Council only fund "artists working with the moving image". Any
> project proposed by a filmmaker will not be considered. This labels are
> annoying arbitrary to say the least.
> I went to the FLAMIN (Film London Moving Image Network) information session
> yesterday. I was explained that there are 2 types of filmmaking:"Art
> filmmaking" (the artist operates within the art world) and "film filmmaking"
> (film world).
> They said experimental cinema sits on the latter. OK. Fine. Where is the
> available funding for a filmmaker who wants to make films for artistic
> reasons, and not for entertainment purposes?
> Any comments would be appreciated
> Thanks so much
> Veronica
> -----------------------------
> -----------------------------
> __________________________________________________________________
> For info on FrameWorks, contact Pip Chodorov at <email suppressed>.
> Email has been scanned for viruses by Altman Technologies' email management
> service -

For info on FrameWorks, contact Pip Chodorov at <email suppressed>.