From: gyoungblood (email suppressed)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2008 - 08:51:56 PST

I recall that recently there was a discussion on this list about copyright. I didn't follow it because I had no need, but now I do. My question is about printed material, not moving image.

I want to publish a book of the articles I wrote for the underground newspaper, The Los Angeles Free Press, between 1967 and 1970. In addition to the articles (150 of them, mostly on film and music) it will include a lot of psychedelic graphics (ads, illustrations, cartoons, layouts), as well as film stills that accompanied the film reviews, which were provided by the distributors. The cartoons are by Ron Cobb, who copyrighted each one in his name.

We are scanning and digitally reprinting the pages. The publisher, Art Kunkin, assures me there will be no problem because every issue of the Free Press was copyrighted in his name, or in the name of the Free Press. He says he's never had a problem, but I'm not sure I should trust that.

I'm totally ignorant about copyright, so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a website, or a person, that gives such advice, so I don't have to pay a lawyer. For example, it occurs to me that this material may be in public domain, but I have no idea if it is, or what that would mean.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. The book should be of interest to our community since it contains reviews of some west coast filmmakers of the '60s who are now generally unknown or forgotten. And a lot more...

Gene Youngblood
28 Sunrise Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87507 USA
vox/fax: +1.505.424.8708
email suppressed

For info on FrameWorks, contact Pip Chodorov at <email suppressed>.