Re: FRAMEWORKS Digest - 16 Mar 2007 to 17 Mar 2007 - Special issue (#2007-158)

From: florisvanhoof (email suppressed)
Date: Sat Mar 17 2007 - 02:48:11 PDT


Op 17-mrt-07 om 08:27 heeft FRAMEWORKS automatic digest system het
volgende geschreven:

> There are 8 messages totalling 617 lines in this issue.
>
> Topics in this special issue:
>
> 1. building a film loop
> 2. Position available: Assistant Film Conservator
> 3. fwd: SFU job ad in media production and media analysis
> 4. mired shifts (2)
> 5. 45th Ann Arbor Film Festival (3)
>
>
> __________________________________________________________________
> For info on FrameWorks, contact Pip Chodorov at <email suppressed>.
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:37:45 -0700
> From: Thad Povey <email suppressed>
> Subject: Re: building a film loop
>
> Hi
>
> I had a complicated long film loop running for 8 hours-a-day, 6
> days-a-week for 3 months at the Exploratorium here in SF (not the same
> loop - I replaced it several times). If you're using workprint, it is
> likely polyester based which is basically unbreakable, but not
> cementable. The local lab here was kind enough to let me in and splice
> using their ultrasonic splicer (thanks Monaco). The loop and splice
> took an incredible beating before sprockets started enlarging and it
> failed. But I don't think a splice ever broke.
>
> I would think a platter type looper keeps down the amount of dirt that
> accumulates. I was looping in the air and passing near the floor and if
> you've ever been in the Exploratorium, you can imagine how much stuff
> ended up in the gate every month.
>
> I always felt that the best death for an old 16mm projector is going
> out
> like El Cid riding a loop into the sunset, rather than rotting in
> landfill. Make it happen while you can.
>
>
> T
>
>
>
>
>
> Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 03:55:16 +0000
> From: heather trawick <email suppressed>
> Subject: building a film loop
>
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to help a friend build a minute and a half 16mm film loop
> for an
> upcoming installation. Forgive me as I don't really know the technical
> jargon to well, and am a first timer at building one of these. We were
> thinking of builing one of the loops that has a hortizontal disc on the
> top... any suggestions or tips in making one of these? It has also been
> suggested that we coat the film with teflon. Has anyone out there done
> this?
> if so any suggestions as to purchasing it. we are located in toronto.
> Please feel free to e mail me off list as well, email suppressed
>
> thanks for any help..
>
>
> __________________________________________________________________
> For info on FrameWorks, contact Pip Chodorov at <email suppressed>.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 14:02:39 -0400
> From: rebecca meyers <email suppressed>
> Subject: Position available: Assistant Film Conservator
>
> ------=_Part_77533_22742614.1174068159667
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Content-Disposition: inline
>
> This listing is now posted externally at the following link. Please
> spead
> the word.
>
> http://jobs.harvard.edu/jobs/summ_req?in_post_id=33007
>
> Requisition Number 29417
> Title Assistant Film Conservator
> School / Unit Harvard College Library
> Department Harvard Film Archive
> Location Cambridge
> Full Or Part Time Full-Time
> Salary Grade 056
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> ---------
>
>
> Duties And Responsibilities Reporting to the Harvard Film Archive
> Conservator, the Assistant Film Conservator is responsible for the
> processing, inspection and preliminary cataloging of new acquisitions;
> Prepares out-going films for the HFA Cinematheque and loans to other
> archival institutions. Assists in planning and execution of collection
> wide preservation projects; Performs accession duties: inspects
> material and creates detailed condition reports and preliminary
> cataloging records for all items coming into HFA collection; Performs
> conservation duties: re-houses material in archival enclosures;
> creates can labels and bar codes; adds countdowns and leaders; obtains
> accurate footage count and determines whether a film is missing
> footage; checks for physical damage; monitors/treats deteriorating
> acetate films; Inspects multiple copies of films with the same title
> to determine best quality and most complete print; Organizes/re-houses
> ephemera and collection related documentation; Monitors HFA materials
> stored in the HD.
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> ---------
>
>
> Required Education, Experience and Skills Basic Qualifications: Formal
> training in Film Preservation through a recognized program with a min
> of 2 yrs handling 35mm and 16mm film in an archival or museum
> environment required; Bachelor's degree or equiv, pref in film or
> media studies, required; Working knowledge of FIAF standards and
> recommendations for storage, handling and projection of film and
> knowledge of different video formats, required; Exp in MS Office
> applications and mechanical experience with a variety of film
> equipment, including projectors, flat-bed viewers and hand powered
> rewinds, required; Attention to detail; ability to work independently.
> Additional Requirements: Projection exp is strongly preferred;
> Knowledge of one Romance language is preferred; Experience with film
> cataloging tools preferred; The incumbent is occasionally required to
> lift materials weighing up to 50 pounds and navigate heavily loaded
> rolling carts or booktrucks.
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> ---------
>
>
> Harvard University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
>
>
> __________________________________________________________________
> For info on FrameWorks, contact Pip Chodorov at <email suppressed>.
>
>
> ------=_Part_77533_22742614.1174068159667
> Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Content-Disposition: inline
>
> <div>This listing is now posted externally at the following
> link.&nbsp; Please spead the word.</div>
> <div>&nbsp;</div>
> <div><a
> href="http://jobs.harvard.edu/jobs/summ_req?in_post_id=33007">http://
> jobs.harvard.edu/jobs/summ_req?in_post_id=33007</a></div>
> <div>&nbsp;</div>
> <div>Requisition Number 29417 <br>Title Assistant Film Conservator
> <br>School / Unit Harvard College Library <br>Department Harvard Film
> Archive <br>Location Cambridge <br>Full Or Part Time Full-Time
> <br>Salary Grade 056
> <br><br>---------------------------------------------------------------
> ----------------- <br><br>Duties And Responsibilities Reporting to the
> Harvard Film Archive <br>Conservator, the Assistant Film Conservator
> is responsible for the
> <br>processing, inspection and preliminary cataloging of new
> acquisitions; <br>Prepares out-going films for the HFA Cinematheque
> and loans to other <br>archival institutions. Assists in planning and
> execution of collection
> <br>wide preservation projects; Performs accession duties: inspects
> <br>material and creates detailed condition reports and preliminary
> <br>cataloging records for all items coming into HFA collection;
> Performs <br>conservation duties: re-houses material in archival
> enclosures;
> <br>creates can labels and bar codes; adds countdowns and leaders;
> obtains <br>accurate footage count and determines whether a film is
> missing <br>footage; checks for physical damage; monitors/treats
> deteriorating <br>acetate films; Inspects multiple copies of films
> with the same title
> <br>to determine best quality and most complete print;
> Organizes/re-houses <br>ephemera and collection related documentation;
> Monitors HFA materials <br>stored in the HD.
> <br><br>---------------------------------------------------------------
> -----------------
> <br><br>Required Education, Experience and Skills Basic
> Qualifications: Formal <br>training in Film Preservation through a
> recognized program with a min <br>of 2 yrs handling 35mm and 16mm film
> in an archival or museum <br>
> environment required; Bachelor&#39;s degree or equiv, pref in film or
> <br>media studies, required; Working knowledge of FIAF standards and
> <br>recommendations for storage, handling and projection of film and
> <br>knowledge of different video formats, required; Exp in MS Office
> <br>applications and mechanical experience with a variety of film
> <br>equipment, including projectors, flat-bed viewers and hand powered
> <br>rewinds, required; Attention to detail; ability to work
> independently. <br>Additional Requirements: Projection exp is strongly
> preferred;
> <br>Knowledge of one Romance language is preferred; Experience with
> film <br>cataloging tools preferred; The incumbent is occasionally
> required to <br>lift materials weighing up to 50 pounds and navigate
> heavily loaded <br>
> rolling carts or booktrucks.
> <br><br>---------------------------------------------------------------
> ----------------- <br><br>Harvard University is an Affirmative
> Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. </div>
> <p>
> __________________________________________________________________
> For info on FrameWorks, contact Pip Chodorov at
> &lt;email suppressed&gt;.
> <p>
>
> ------=_Part_77533_22742614.1174068159667--
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:05:01 -0400
> From: zryd <email suppressed>
> Subject: fwd: SFU job ad in media production and media analysis
>
> FYI
>
>
> School of Communication
>
> The School of Communication invites applications for a tenure-track
> position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of media
> production
> and media analysis. The candidates must show the ability to implement
> research initiatives and develop curricula, which are lab or studio
> based.
> The successful candidate will have expertise within one or more of the
> areas
> of soundscape analysis, media analysis, media education, social
> communication design, digital media and documentary production.
> Experience
> as creative media producers and with critical media analysis will be
> considered an asset.
>
> Candidates should have a Ph.D. in Communication, or a doctorate in a
> cognate
> field, with demonstrated skill in undergraduate teaching in creative
> and
> critical research and production practices as well as a willingness to
> teach
> in relation to at least two areas of the School's curriculum.
> Candidates
> will be expected to supervise, mentor and teach graduate students, and
> to
> participate in the governance and affairs of the School.
>
>
> All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and
> permanent residents will be given priority.
>
> Simon Fraser University is committed to employment equity and welcomes
> applications from
> all qualified women and men, including visible minorities, aboriginal
> people, persons with disabilities, gay men and lesbians. All
> appointments
> are subject to budgetary authorization.
> Under the authority of the University Act, personal information that is
> required by the
> University for academic appointment competitions will be collected. For
> further details see
> http://www.sfu.ca/vpacademic/Faculty_Openings/Collection_Notice.html.
>
> Applications should include a CV, a statement of research and teaching
> interests, a sample
> of published work (or a work prepared for publication), a production
> portfolio where available,
> and names/contact information for three referees. Applications must be
> received by
> April 30, 2007, addressed to:
>
> Dr. Martin Laba, Director
> School of Communication
> Simon Fraser University
> 8888 University Drive
> Burnaby, BC
> Canada
> V5A 1S6
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----
>
> ___
>
>
> __________________________________________________________________
> For info on FrameWorks, contact Pip Chodorov at <email suppressed>.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 19:41:51 -0500
> From: Kyja Kristjansson <email suppressed>
> Subject: mired shifts
>
> hi hi,
>
> I am wondering if somebody can clarify an exact formula for mired
> shifts in
> color temp. I understand how to calculate mireds from the Kelvin value
> (1,000,000/K), but I am confused about mired shifts. I came across a
> source
> that states the following:
>
> "subtract the mired value of the desired color from that of the source"
>
> Is that right? Am I reading it incorrectly? (source - desired)??
>
> Because then the source goes on to give the following example:
> Source = 5000K or 200mireds. Desired = 3200K or 312mireds...
> 312 (desired) -200 (source) = 112 mireds, which would be an 85 orange
>
> I found another formula that gives the following:
>
> -[(Mired Value of Source Light) - (Mired Value of Desired Light)]
>
> Which would make quote above accurate, right?
>
> or is it simply:
>
> (Mired Value of Desired Light) - (Mired Value of Source Light)
>
> This should be fairly straight forward... and I'm quite sure that at
> this
> point I'm making it more difficult than it needs to be. Any
> clarification
> would be MUCH appreciated.
>
> Bestu,
> kyja
>
>
>
> ----
> www.kyjakristjana.com
>
> --
> Kyja Kristjansson-Nelson
> Assistant Professor, Film
> Communication Studies, Film Studies & Theatre Arts Dept.
> Minnesota State University Moorhead
> 1104 7th Avenue South
> Moorhead, MN, 56563
> 218-477-4624
> email suppressed
> www.kyjakristjana.com
>
>
> __________________________________________________________________
> For info on FrameWorks, contact Pip Chodorov at <email suppressed>.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 00:12:14 -0400
> From: Sam Wells <email suppressed>
> Subject: Re: mired shifts
>
>>
>> "subtract the mired value of the desired color from that of the
>> source"
>>
>> Is that right? Am I reading it incorrectly? (source - desired)??
>>
>> Because then the source goes on to give the following example:
>> Source = 5000K or 200mireds. Desired = 3200K or 312mireds...
>> 312 (desired) -200 (source) = 112 mireds, which would be an 85 orange
>>
>> I found another formula that gives the following:
>>
>> -[(Mired Value of Source Light) - (Mired Value of Desired Light)]
>>
>> Which would make quote above accurate, right?
>
> I think so.
>
> But the desired value can be a negative number (a "blue" number)
>
> -Sam
>
>
> __________________________________________________________________
> For info on FrameWorks, contact Pip Chodorov at <email suppressed>.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 01:24:11 -0400
> From: Ken Bawcom <email suppressed>
> Subject: 45th Ann Arbor Film Festival
>
> ----- Forwarded message from email suppressed -----
> Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 07:33:10 -0600
>
> Frameworkers,
>
> There are a number of programs that may be of particular interest to
> FWers at the Ann Arbor Film Festival which begins next week.
> Toshio Matsumoto and Ken Jacobs will be present for two programs each
> of their work.
> Boston filmmaker Robert Todd will be there with a program of his
> recent films and Bruce McClure will present several of his new
> projector performances.
> The festival jurors this year include David Gatten and Deborah
> Stratman who will be presenting programs of their films. This is in
> addition to all of the great new film and video work exhibited in many
> programs over six full days.
> The full schedule is at www.aafilmfest.org
>
> -David Dinnell
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----
>
> David asked me to forward the above message. I would like to add that I
> think we have an exceptionally strong program of entries in competition
> this year, with several of my personal favorite film makers returning,
> with excellent works, after too long an absence. That includes Carl
> Brown, Francois Miron, and Paul Winkler, to name just a few that come
> easily to my tired mind. We hope that as many of you as can will
> attend, and enjoy the wide variety of fine film and video, shown in a
> wonderfully restored old theater. The Festival begins this coming
> Tuesday, March 20th, and continues through Sunday, March 25th. All
> pertinent info, including detailed schedules, are available at
> www.aafilmfest.org.
>
> Ken Bawcom
>
>
> __________________________________________________________________
> For info on FrameWorks, contact Pip Chodorov at <email suppressed>.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 02:55:52 -0400
> From: john porter <email suppressed>
> Subject: Re: 45th Ann Arbor Film Festival
>
> Thanks Ken,
> I can't find many formats listed, production or
> projection, on your website.
> "newly remastered collection of Helen Hillís 16mm
> films"
> Does this mean new 16mm prints?
> John.
>
> --- Ken Bawcom <email suppressed> wrote:
>
>> ----- Forwarded message from email suppressed
>> -----
>> Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 07:33:10 -0600
>>
>> Frameworkers,
>>
>> There are a number of programs that may be of
>> particular interest to
>> FWers at the Ann Arbor Film Festival which begins
>> next week.
>> Toshio Matsumoto and Ken Jacobs will be present for
>> two programs each
>> of their work.
>> Boston filmmaker Robert Todd will be there with a
>> program of his
>> recent films and Bruce McClure will present several
>> of his new
>> projector performances.
>> The festival jurors this year include David Gatten
>> and Deborah
>> Stratman who will be presenting programs of their
>> films. This is in
>> addition to all of the great new film and video work
>> exhibited in many
>> programs over six full days.
>> The full schedule is at www.aafilmfest.org
>>
>> -David Dinnell
>>
>> ----- End forwarded message -----
>>
>> David asked me to forward the above message. I would
>> like to add that I
>> think we have an exceptionally strong program of
>> entries in competition
>> this year, with several of my personal favorite film
>> makers returning,
>> with excellent works, after too long an absence.
>> That includes Carl
>> Brown, Francois Miron, and Paul Winkler, to name
>> just a few that come
>> easily to my tired mind. We hope that as many of you
>> as can will
>> attend, and enjoy the wide variety of fine film and
>> video, shown in a
>> wonderfully restored old theater. The Festival
>> begins this coming
>> Tuesday, March 20th, and continues through Sunday,
>> March 25th. All
>> pertinent info, including detailed schedules, are
>> available at
>> www.aafilmfest.org.
>>
>> Ken Bawcom
>>
>>
>>
> __________________________________________________________________
>> For info on FrameWorks, contact Pip Chodorov at
>> <email suppressed>.
>>
>
>
> John Porter, Toronto, Canada
> http://www.super8porter.ca/
> email suppressed
>
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com
>
>
> __________________________________________________________________
> For info on FrameWorks, contact Pip Chodorov at <email suppressed>.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 03:27:00 -0400
> From: Ken Bawcom <email suppressed>
> Subject: Re: 45th Ann Arbor Film Festival
>
> John,
>
> I am almost certain they will be 16mm prints. Her films have always
> been exhibited as prints here in the past. And, I believe I heard we
> were getting prints. I will call the office tomorrow and confirm this.
> We always do our best to get prints.
>
> Her films are of course not in competition. But, when films/videos are
> submitted in competition, if the application form says they were made
> on film, but they have a video format listed for exhibition, we always
> ask if they can possibly send us a print. Of course, often that is not
> possible, because the film was transfered to, and edited in, video, and
> not conformed. This interchange means that we may not always know what
> format we will be showing at the time the program is finalized, and
> posted on our site. But, we always obtain prints, if at all possible.
> Our printed program has listed the exhibition formats in the past, and
> I presume will do so this year. I am involved with screening and
> programming of competition films. Others contact the makers, to see
> what is the best format we can obtain. So, I don't always know, until
> opening night or the day before, when I get a program.
>
> Ken B.
>
>
>
>
> Quoting john porter <email suppressed>:
>
>> Thanks Ken,
>> I can't find many formats listed, production or
>> projection, on your website.
>> "newly remastered collection of Helen Hillís 16mm
>> films"
>> Does this mean new 16mm prints?
>> John.
>>
>> --- Ken Bawcom <email suppressed> wrote:
>>
>>> ----- Forwarded message from email suppressed
>>> -----
>>> Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 07:33:10 -0600
>>>
>>> Frameworkers,
>>>
>>> There are a number of programs that may be of
>>> particular interest to
>>> FWers at the Ann Arbor Film Festival which begins
>>> next week.
>>> Toshio Matsumoto and Ken Jacobs will be present for
>>> two programs each
>>> of their work.
>>> Boston filmmaker Robert Todd will be there with a
>>> program of his
>>> recent films and Bruce McClure will present several
>>> of his new
>>> projector performances.
>>> The festival jurors this year include David Gatten
>>> and Deborah
>>> Stratman who will be presenting programs of their
>>> films. This is in
>>> addition to all of the great new film and video work
>>> exhibited in many
>>> programs over six full days.
>>> The full schedule is at www.aafilmfest.org
>>>
>>> -David Dinnell
>>>
>>> ----- End forwarded message -----
>>>
>>> David asked me to forward the above message. I would
>>> like to add that I
>>> think we have an exceptionally strong program of
>>> entries in competition
>>> this year, with several of my personal favorite film
>>> makers returning,
>>> with excellent works, after too long an absence.
>>> That includes Carl
>>> Brown, Francois Miron, and Paul Winkler, to name
>>> just a few that come
>>> easily to my tired mind. We hope that as many of you
>>> as can will
>>> attend, and enjoy the wide variety of fine film and
>>> video, shown in a
>>> wonderfully restored old theater. The Festival
>>> begins this coming
>>> Tuesday, March 20th, and continues through Sunday,
>>> March 25th. All
>>> pertinent info, including detailed schedules, are
>>> available at
>>> www.aafilmfest.org.
>>>
>>> Ken Bawcom
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> __________________________________________________________________
>>> For info on FrameWorks, contact Pip Chodorov at
>>> <email suppressed>.
>>>
>>
>>
>> John Porter, Toronto, Canada
>> http://www.super8porter.ca/
>> email suppressed
>>
>> __________________________________________________
>> Do You Yahoo!?
>> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
>> http://mail.yahoo.com
>>
>>
>> __________________________________________________________________
>> For info on FrameWorks, contact Pip Chodorov at <email suppressed>.
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
> "Those who would give up essential liberty
> to purchase a little temporary safety
> deserve neither liberty, nor safety."
> Benjamin Franklin 1775
>
> "I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
> Pete Townshend 1971
>
>
> __________________________________________________________________
> For info on FrameWorks, contact Pip Chodorov at <email suppressed>.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of FRAMEWORKS Digest - 16 Mar 2007 to 17 Mar 2007 - Special issue
> (#2007-158)
> ***********************************************************************
> **********
>

__________________________________________________________________
For info on FrameWorks, contact Pip Chodorov at <email suppressed>.