Re: 16mm mag Stripe

From: Freya (email suppressed)
Date: Tue Jan 03 2006 - 15:12:55 PST

> I've never heard of a mag stripe right on film,
> unless it is an optical
> track. Isn't that what an optical track actually
> is, a mag stripe on
> the film? Or is it a different kind of mag stripe?

no, optical tracks are like little pictures but this
is like a bit of metal that runs along the film, it's
the same way sound was done in s8 cameras. It's kind
of odd it's like half way between magnetic tape and
wire recorder.

Speaking of which, I think i've mentioned it before
but I love the bit in that Maya Deren film where they
have a real life working wire recorder! When I saw the
head going up and down I was thinking, is that some
really early kind of video recorder, because I had
seen wire recorders in museums but never one in real
life and to be honest I associated the technology with
nazi germany! I'm not sure why! Anyway there was Maya
Derens wire recorder, still going strong after all
these years!



Yahoo! DSL Something to write home about.
Just $16.99/mo. or less.

For info on FrameWorks, contact Pip Chodorov at <email suppressed>.