From: Artcite / Media City (email suppressed)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2008 - 13:13:55 PDT
MEDIA CITY FILM FESTIVAL ANNOUNCES ITS 2008 AWARD WINNERS
Amy Beste is Director of Public Programming for the department of Film,
Video & New Media at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, where
she organizes the visiting artist series "Conversations at the Edge"
at the Gene Siskel Film Center.
Vincent Grenier has been making experimental films and videos since
the early 1970s. His films have been exhibited at the Pompidou Centre,
the Museum of Modern Art (NYC), and countless other international venues
and festivals. Grenier is currently Chair of the Cinema Department
at Binghamton University in New York.
Mike Sperlinger is Assistant Director of LUX, London, which holds
the UK's most significant collection of artists' film and video.
He has contributed to publications including Frieze, Radical Philosophy
and Art Monthly, and recently edited the book "Afterthought: New Writing
on Conceptual Art (Rachmaninoffs, 2005).
MEDIA CITY 14 GRAND PRIZE:
* Bachelor Machines Part I & Part II, Rosalind Nashashibi, Scotland, 2007
* Victory over the Sun, Michael Robinson, USA, 2007
* Public Domain, Jim Jennings, USA, 2007
HONOURABLE MENTIONS (alphabetical):
* Androa Autoportrait, Matthias De Groof and Kristin Rogghe
with Androa Mindre Kolo, Belgium/ DR Congo, 2006
* Bay Bridge from Embarcadero, Guy Sherwin, England, 2004/2007
* Dislocated Smaller Parts, Bruce McClure, USA, 2008
* Golf House and Grey Heron II, Helga Fanderl, Germany, 2006
* Land of Cockaigne, Rachel Reupke, England, 2007
* Observando el Cielo, Jeanne Liotta, USA, 2007
* Room of Chromatic Mystery, Arthur & Corinne Cantrill, Australia, 2006
* RR, James Benning, USA, 2007
* Sidewalk, Karl Kels, Germany, 2008
* Sketch Film #5, Tomonari Nishikawa, Japan, 2007
* Take into the air my quiet breath, Speculative Archive, USA, 2007
Media City is an international festival of experimental film and video
art presented annually in Windsor, Ontario, Canada since 1994. The
festival is a co-presentation of Artcite Inc. (Windsor's artist-run
centre for the contemporary arts), the Art Gallery of Windsor, and House
of Toast (Windsor's film and video collective). Each year Media City
screens approximately fifty new films and videos in all gauges and formats
in its international competition programs. The festival also hosts
retrospective screenings and discussions and installation programs
with featured artists in attendance.
Media City is an Artcite Inc./
AGW & House of Toast presentation
MEDIA CITY 14 * MARCH 4 to 8, 2008
Media City c/o Artcite/HOT
109 University Avenue West
Windsor,ON N9A 5P4 CANADA
tel/fax: +1 519 977 6564
For info on FrameWorks, contact Pip Chodorov at <email suppressed>.